1. Four cylinder cars with stock motors, fuel injection, or carburetors.
2.All glass, plastics, ornaments, horns, chrome trim, lights, and bulbs
must be removed. The vehicle must be clear of loose objects and glass.
Remove all combustible materials from the inside of the car.
3.Stock windshield, lexan, or maximum 1″ expanded metal or wire mesh
replacement allowed. It must extend from the driver’s side upright
post to past center of windshield opening. Driver must wear full face
helmet. Functional wipers are recommended for stock windshields or lexan
4.Drivers and passengers door bars must be reinforced with outside steel
bars. Stock upper and lower door hinges must not be removed, unless
the car has a full roll cage.
1. Either channel iron, box steel, or I-beam only, no angle iron.
2. Door bar must be a minimum 8″ on drivers side, minimum 3/16″
3. Maximum 5″ protrusion from outer door skins, corners must be
rounded or beveled, to avoid damage to other vehicles in the event of
4. Door bar cannot extend into or over wheel openings.
5. Door bar must extend minimum 6″ in front and behind doors (space
6. Door bars must be on the outside of the vehicle.
7. Two bars may be used to reach 8″, but only if welded along the
8. Door bars must be mounted level to the ground.
9. Tech may require additional bars for safety purposes, officials discretion.
10. Remember, if a door bar falls down or off, you may no longer compete.
Door Bar bolts:
1. Bolts must pass through the entire door/fender, not just the outer
2. Suitable size of washers must be used.
3. A minimum of four bolts of minimum 5/8″ diameter are required
4. Front bolt is to go through front fender and foot box, second bolt
in the door 6″ from edge, third bolt near the rear edge through
the rear cross bar flange plate on the drivers side, and the fourth
bolted through the rear door or quarter panel and door bar.
(Minimum pipe size is 3/16″ x 2″ O.D. throughout entire cage)
a) Must have two uprights connected (welded) together with one cross
pipes, directly behind the driver, which must be padded where the drivers
head can touch, and one beside the driver in the passenger seat areas.
Both uprights must have welded steel flanges (minimum 6″ square)
on the top and the bottom, bolted to the roof and the floor with a minimum
of 3 (min, ½” inch) bolts on each end, with suitable size
b) Each upright must be back braced (by minimum 2″ O.D. 3/16″
wall pipe) within 6’ of the roof, and attached by steel flanges
(min. 6″ square) and two (min ½”) bolts to the floor
within the interior compartment. Back braces may be welded to the frame
in front of the rear kick-ups.
c) Minimum 2″ by 3/16″ upright pipe behind the driver. Drill
½” inspection holes in each main upright pipe, within 8″
of the roof.
d) Both uprights must have steel flanges welded on top and bottom (min.
6″ square) held to the roof and floor with a minimum of three bolts
per end (1/2″ min) with sufficient size washers.
e) Minimum 2″ x 1/8″ steel pipe dash bar must be installed
above the steering column, and must be bolted through the door skins
with plates on either side. The steering column must be chained securely
to the dash bar, with minimum 3/8″ chain.
f) All vehicles must have a minimum 2″ cross brace extending across
the interior directly behind the driver’s upright, and must be
bolted through the outside door bar by the interior flanges on the drivers
g) Rusted flooring must be repaired with equivalent gauge sheet metal,
(minimum, tech discretion as to thickness)
h) All welds must be proper, and all cages must be stamped.
i) All bars around the driver must be padded with good thick foam padding,
drivers door panel must remain, or should be well padded.
6.A 1/8″ x 2″ metal bar must be bolted (min. 3/8″ bolts)
vertically in the center on the outside of the windshield. Windshield
bar must extend from the roof to below the bottom of the windshield
7. A properly mounted regulation racing harness (with min. 3″ lap
belt and 2″ shoulder belt) is mandatory (3″ lap, 3″ shoulder
recommended). Shoulder harness should be properly mounted at shoulder
level directly behind or through the drivers seat.
NO welded bolts are to be used to secure the harness to the upright.
8.A sturdy seat brace must be installed if the backrest of the seat does
not meet the drivers upright, High back bucket seats are preferred,
if not, a tech approved padded headrest must be installed. Seat back
must be chained, welded or bolted to prevent forward motion.
9.All cars must have approved safety netting in the driver’s window.
Window nets must release downward from the inside top of the driver’s
window with spring or metal seat belt buckle clip mounted inside car.
Minimum 3/8″ steel round stock rod with hose clamps top and bottom.
Trunk torsion rods are suggested.
10.Most underside stock gas tanks must be removed. Boat tanks should be
used (5 gal. max.) Tank must be fully enclosed in steel and securely
mounted in the trunk area, with a minimum clearance of 18″ inside
the back of the car, held securely with a 2″ metal strap (or tech
approved hold down.) Certain stock tanks located behind the rear seat
are allowed. Check with head tech first. No rubber or plastic fuel lines,
steel or copper only. Tank must be easily accessible for tech inspection.
11.a) Pump fuel only, no aviation fuel or fuel additives allowed.
b) A carburetor air cleaner, or suitable flame arrester is required,
but this may not extend through the hood.
c) Wooden carburetor adaptors are not allowed.
d) No synthetic oil allowed in any vehicle at Saratoga Speedway.
12.Any cars that come factory stock with an electric fuel pump must have
a capital letter “E” beside their number on their roof sign.
(E.g. 44E) A battery shutoff switch must be mounted to the drivers upright
and be readily accessible to the safety crew, in the event that an emergency
shutoff is required.
13.Tires must be D.O.T. approved. Maximum 7″ tread width. No studded
or racing tires. If you get a flat, you must go into the pits. Maximum
6’ wide rims, no mags or unilug rims.
14.All suspension must remain stock. No alterations or you are out, nothing
will be tolerated. McPherson struts on front-wheel drives must be connected
together with flat bar or pipe to prevent towers from falling in.
15.Bumpers must be chained. If one falls off, you are out. Bumper pinning
is allowed, maximum 5/8″ ready-rod 4″ back from the front
16.An expanded metal or wire mesh screen may be installed in front of the
radiator. Radiator support: 1 ½” maximum angle iron on
tad support 1″ from fenders, 3/16″ thick, held on with a maximum
or four 3/8″ bolts or 10″ of weld.
17. Hood and trunk must be bolted or chained securely. You may have two
hood bolts or ready-rod extending from the frame through the hood, maximum
1″ diameter behind the radiator housing. Two 7 x 7″ minimum
fire extinguisher holes must be cut into the hood.
18. A drive shaft hoop is required. Hoop must be located approximately 12″
back from the front end of the drive shaft.
19. Battery must be relocated to the passenger side compartment or behind
the driver, and is to be securely in a marine battery box, (or similar
tech approved container) inside the vehicle within the frame rails.
The marine battery box must be secured to the floor and must have a
2″ steel strap or seal belt over the top of the box. Note: plastic
battery boxes must pass tech, or you do not race.
20. All hole in the front and rear firewalls must be covered with metal.
21. All drivers must wear a Proban or Nomex driving suit, or Nomex coveralls.
22. All drivers must wear an approved Snell 85 or newer type of helmet.
(Snell 90 or newer recommended) Goggles or a face shield must be worn/used.
A full-face helmet and face shield are required for all drivers using
expanded metal or wire mesh for windshield replacement.
23. All vehicles must have four working brakes, this will be checked.
24. Car must have driver’s registered number on both side of a roof
sign, securely mounted on the roof of the vehicle. This rule will be
strictly enforced. Numbers must be of a block lettering style, and must
be a minimum of 14″ high, 2″ thick, and 7″ wide, and
must be of a contrasting color from the roof sign itself. Recorders
must be able to clearly read the numbers, or you will not receive any
25. All vehicles must have a charged 1.87 lb (minimum) ABC fire extinguisher,
and a current Saratoga Speedway rule book accessible in their pit areas.
26. Additions, withdrawals, or changes of any kind to any of the rules may
be made at any time if deemed necessary by the management.
27. All vehicle must pass tech and safety inspection before being allowed
to enter the infield, (tech discretion.)
All tech decisions as to the race ability of your mini figure 8 car